Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Save up!

I keep wondering why we Indians have such rigid mentalities where we choose to sacrifice our desires and save up our hard earned money for our kids and yet do nothing to save something for the public or for the good of mankind...

I used to think that this is an issue with just my workplace until my hubby tells me that its a problem in his place as well. This is not a problem with an group or organization or any institution, the problem is with each one of us..We are all brought up to save up and be selfish and protective about our nuclear families and not bother a damn about anyone else around..I remember my own mom scolding me when I was a kid when I told her during my Summer vacation that I want to clean the garbage dump in front of our colony...

Mom: "Are you crazy?? That is what the government has appointed workers for." (Horrified look on her face)
Innocent me: "Then why dont they come and clean it mummy??" (All pissed off!!)
Mom: "Aaaa...Why are you so bothered about that? You mind your business and go and study or come and help me in the kitchen or help Daddy clean the garden"
Me: "But I want to do something good"
Mom: "Helping your mom and Dad is all you have to do..And Study well and become a doctor or an engineer"
Me: "I will study well and you know that..That's not the question"

Mom is horrified and finally decides to pass the ball into my Dad's court..She knows very well how we three girls are terrified of Dad!

Mom:"Ketto....." (Translated: Listen Daddy).....ee kochinu aa road-ile poye waste vaari kalayanam ennu...Onnu vazhakku paranje....(This kid wants to clean the garbage on the road..Please scold her!)

Me: 'Damn..Okay fine..I am going to read my book'
Dad: Jinu,come here

Me....running away..."Daddy...I am going to read my book..."

Whew, that was my family picture...I can imagine millions of other kids experiencing the same Indian protective, yet callous, attitude.

I remember parents coming to my school and scolding my teachers for not teaching kids how to talk smartly and to be generous because "they spend most of their time here..They spend most of their productive time here and you need to teach them"...Isn't the same applicable after we grow up and start working??Forget about 8 hrs, we spend over 15 hours in office, then why is it that our companies dont take up the responsibilities to educate their employees on ways to behave in public?

We are going through times of recession and we change nothing in our lifestyle to save money for us or our country..At the most we personally cut down on eating out..Do you realise what all can be done to cut costs??

1) Ask your company to reduce the AC's. Most work places, have the AC's on at full strength through out the day..I understand if that is done in a Server Room or places that need lower temperatures for equipments to work properly. Rest of the times, AC's can be switched off at regular intervals to save electricity.

2) Wastage of Tissues. The modern IT company pampers us with free tissues, free coffee vending machines, free water, free phone facilities, free stationary, free print outs, free AC's...
Dont forget that this is all money..

Every document that you decide not to print, is saved money for a company..
Every tissue that you save, is money saved for you and the company... A tree that is not cut down somewhere....
Every time electricity consumption is reduced, is money saved for a better purpose(You never know, it might turn out to be our next month's salary)

If you see lights turned on unneccesarily, don't be ashamed to turn it off. I have felt ashamed many times but I have pushed myself to go forward and turn off that light. People have looked at me in surprise when I have done that..But I have felt a surge of pride when I explain 'Why waste electricity'!! ...I have felt good about it for the rest of the day.... Though no other Indian understands it!

The problem is that not many people even realise that a light is turned on unneccesarily..That is because they are not tuned to look out for something that can be turned off or saved.

We are responsible citizens. The country we live in doesn't matter anymore..We are facing a global crisis now..Save water, save electricity, save trees...Or else our kids will have nothing left and they will have to suffer..Let's not be selfish...Tune yourselves to be more sensitive..There is nothing to be ashamed about in that...Be proud that you think differently. You are contributing to a huge society when you do this...If educated people can't reach out and make a difference who else can?????

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I some times get branded as a lunatic at home coz I have a bad habit of switching off things... !!

but its very important to save up... and sooner everyone realises the better...

Jinu George said...

You have my complete support and admiration, hitchwriter! Keep it up and dont forget to teach your kids and the people you are around the same....

Unknown said...

..you are on the right lane dear. keep it moving.